The AOPA Foundation Inc.
AOPA is committed to maintaining your privacy and providing you with options regarding the use of your personal information.
Our Commitment to Donors
We will not sell, share or trade our donors’ names or personal information with any Non-Affiliate entities, nor send mailings to our donors on behalf of Non-Affiliate entities. This applies to all information received by AOPA Foundation, both online and offline, on any AOPA Foundation website or mobile application, as well as any electronic, written, or oral communications. To the extent any donations are processed through a third-party service provider, our donors’ information will only be used for purposes necessary to process the donation.
Our Commitment to Transparency
AOPA Foundation is committed to efficiency and transparency. We communicate with our supporters, donors, and prospective donors by email, postal mail, phone, and other means, both to request contributions to our cause and to educate the public about the programs AOPA Foundation supports throughout the year. These efforts help advance our mission to fund opportunities of growth for the entire general aviation community. As a result, in accordance with the Financial Accounting Standard Board (FASB) guidelines and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) guidance, AOPA Foundation allocates a portion of our fundraising costs to program services. As a nonprofit organization that is exempt from federal taxation, we ensure our donors’ contributions are spent as efficiently and effectively as possible.
AOPA Foundation has a dedicated Privacy Oﬃcer. If you ever have a question about this Privacy and Accountability Statement or how your personal information is handled please contact our Privacy Oﬃcer by calling 800/USA-AOPA or email [email protected].
What information do we collect?
- We collect information you provide such as your name, postal address, email address, contact information, and date of birth, to complete the transaction you request.
- We collect credit card information to process the orders you request such as contributions and registration. We will use this information for the purpose for which it was provided; AOPA Foundation does not store credit card or other payment information.
- We collect demographic information you provide and as may be publicly available through other sources to help us learn donor characteristics and needs.
- We monitor our website traﬃc and analyze which pages are popular, which are not, what areas of the country or the world our traﬃc is coming from, and the like, using “Cookies and Tracking Pixels.”3 The information we collect may help us communicate better with you.
- We may collect geolocation data about your location to provide you with a better user experience when using our applications.
- We collect any educational, recreational, professional or employment information that you share with us or direct others to share with or make available to us.
All AOPA Foundation sites and services are intended for adult general aviator audiences. If we learn we have inadvertently collected personal information of a minor under the age of 13, we will delete it or obtain permission to retain such information. We do not knowingly sell or share the information of children under 16 years of age.
How do we use your information?
In the section below, we list how we might use/share your personal information and whether you can limit this sharing.
*In some circumstances, you may not be able to limit the sharing of your information when such information is shared pursuant to a subpoena or legal investigation.
Reasons We Use/Share Your Personal Information
Do We Share?
Can You Limit This Sharing?
For AOPA Foundation’s everyday operations and mission support purposes—to process your transactions such as contributions, reply to your inquiries, communicate important informational updates we think may be of interest to you, allow your participation in AOPA Foundation activities and use of AOPA Foundation services, respond to court orders and legal investigations.
For AOPA Foundation’s promotional purposes—to offer additional AOPA Foundation events and services to you such as scholarships and webinars.
For our Affiliated Companies’1 everyday business purposes—to provide you information about services or products available from AOPA that may be of interest to you.
For Non-Affiliates2 to market to you—We may occasionally share or exchange your name and mailing address with selected Non-Affiliates2 to allow them to provide you with information about services that may be of interest to you. A fee may be charged for such exchanges.
Information we have exchanged in the past twelve months with Affiliated Companies:
Name, address, email address, phone number, date of birth, transactional information, demographic information, geolocation, educational, recreational, professional, and employment.
Information we have exchanged with our Non-Affiliated Companies in the past twelve months:
Name, mailing address, and in limited circumstances, email addresses.
HOW DO WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Data security and protection
Except as required by subpoena or order of court:
- And except in limited circumstances, we do not release your email address to anyone other than AOPA. With the exception of your name and mailing address, we do not release your personally identiﬁable information to anyone except AOPA. We never sell or rent your personal information to telemarketers or list brokers.
- We may occasionally share aggregated, general demographics, such as composition or geographic distribution of AOPA membership, which may include Donors.
- Only authorized employees of AOPA Foundation and AOPA have access to your personal information. Agents and contractors (who have agreed to keep information secure and conﬁdential) have limited access to names, mailing addresses, and in more limited circumstances, email addresses.
- We do not disclose your credit card information to anyone other than the credit card company that processes the charge. For your personal security, we encourage you not to use email to communicate credit card information.
- AOPA Foundation will take all reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is stored in a secure environment protected from unauthorized access, modiﬁcation, or disclosure. AOPA Foundation uses industry standard safeguards to ensure the security of personal information through physical, electronic, and managerial procedures.
- While we are committed to securing your personal information, there may be times that we are legally required to disclose your personal information pursuant to a subpoena or court order.
Whenever personal data is collected by a website the data is secured in transit by Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology. SSL ensures that the data in transit between the Web server and your client machine is encrypted and that the information was not changed in transit.
- Although AOPA Foundation’s site may include links to other Internet sites, AOPA Foundation takes no responsibility for the content or information contained on those sites. AOPA Foundation provides these links as a beneﬁt to our donors, but we have no control over those sites.
- Other sites that you visit may have their own distinct privacy policies or no policy at all. They may use personal information that you may provide them diﬀerently than our policy permits.
AOPA Foundation strongly encourages you to review the privacy statements of any site before providing any personal information to them.
YOUR RIGHTS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- the right to know the Personal Information we collect, use, or disclose. To exercise your right to know, click here;
- the right to request deletion of the Personal Information we collect from you. To exercise your right to request deletion, click here;
- the right to direct AOPA Foundation not to sell your Personal Information To exercise your right to direct AOPA Foundation not to sell your Personal Information, please follow the steps found on the Do Not Sell My Personal Information form.
- the right to non-discrimination against you for exercising your rights;
Registrants and donors of AOPA Foundation may submit a verified request relating to their rights under AOPA Foundation’s Privacy and Accountability Statement through the links provided below. In order to process your request, we will need to verify your identity before processing your request. In addition, if submitting a request through an authorized agent, we will request that your authorized agent provide written permission from, and signed by, you to make requests on your behalf and we will make reasonable efforts to verify your authorized agent’s identity.
Information collected and/or used in the past twelve (12) months:
- In the past 12 months, AOPA Foundation may have sold the following consumer personal information: (1) Name, (2) Physical Address.
- In the past 12 months, AOPA Foundation may have used for business purposes all categories of information that have been collected by AOPA Foundation.
HOW CAN YOU CONTROL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
You may opt out of AOPA Foundation's use of your personal information.
- We respect your privacy and your choices. You may request at any time to have your name, address, phone number, or e-mail address excluded from various types of communications you receive from AOPA Foundation.
- No mail, email, or phone calls from AOPA Foundation.
- No mail from Non-Affiliates2.
- You can request that we only contact you through one of those methods of communication, or even specify what types of contacts you do not desire.
- For individual email solicitations pertaining to a specific contribution or offering, you may elect to unsubscribe. A link is located prominently in all of our email solicitations. Please let us know your preferences by calling us at 800/USA-AOPA (872-2672), updating your account information online, or emailing us at [email protected].
- The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA), AOPA Holdings Corporation, and AOPA Aviation Finance Company, LLC.
Non-Affiliated or Non-Affiliates2
- Companies other than Affiliated Companies.
Cookies and Tracking Pixels3
- Cookies are small ﬁles that your Web browser places on your computer’s hard drive. They allow us to see the time and date you visited, your IP address, the type of Internet browser you used, and what pages you viewed. At no point does your actual identity become known. This information may be collected by or shared with third-party vendors and partners, such as Google. AOPA Foundation may use tools, such as Google Analytics. These tools allow AOPA Foundation to promote our services to website visitors after they have visited the AOPA Foundation website. Most Web browsers allow you to decline to accept cookies.
- This site employs the use of tracking pixels, also known as a Web beacon. A Web beacon is a small image which is attached to a Web page or link but is not visible to the user. When a Web beacon enabled Web page is loaded, or link is clicked, the Web beacon reports that activity to the organizations Web activity system. No personally identiﬁable information is collected through the use of Web beacons.
This policy is effective 02/11/2021. AOPA Foundation may from time to time update this statement. When that occurs, we will notify you by posting the changes to this page. AOPA Foundation encourages you to periodically review this statement to be informed of how we are protecting your information.